April 21, 2014

U19: Hibernian 1-2 St Mirren

The St Mirren Under-19 side notched up their first win of the new season this afternoon as they won 2-1 against their Hibernian counterparts at the Edinburgh side’s Training Centre in Ormiston.

The first half of this game was played at a high tempo with play raging from end to end as both sides were going all-out for the opener.

As fate would have it the home side opened the scoring but Saints struck back with a quick equaliser as Frankie Owens fired in a great shot from outside the penalty-area.

Both sides were still going all for it but a St Mirren attack changed the complexion of the game.  Thomas Reilly did well to get in behind the home defence and he was brought down by a defender leaving the referee little option other than to red card the Hibernian player.

After this Hibernian sat back allowing Saints to have more of the ball but the home side were still looking dangerous playing on the break.

The sides went into the the half-time interval on level terms.

As the second half progressed Saints were well on top and it was no surprise when they took the lead. Sean Kelly played a great ball to Craig Slater who steered it onto the path of Anton Brady who finished well to put Saints 2-1 up.

Hibernian continued to play on the counter-attack which caused Saints problems and at times things got a bit cagey for Saints. But David Longwell’s youngsters defended well when they had to and got the positive result their overall play and performance deserved.

Saints line-up: McKinven, Meechan, Cairns, Owens, Cole, Naismith, Lamont, Slater, Coyne, Reilly, Brady.
Subs used: Kelly, Fulton, Hughes.
Subs unused: Smith, McGinn, Newman.

The Under 19′s next outing is this coming Friday (September 2nd) when they will face Motherwell in a Clydesdale Bank U19 League fixture at McKenna Park (home ground of Junior side St Anthony’s). Kick-off will be at 12:00pm (noon).

For more news on the Clydesdale Bank U19 League directly from the SPL please click here.